Busuu is one of the top EdTech companies in the world and has won numerous awards for its innovation and impact in language learning.
Busuu’s vision is to empower everyone in the world through languages. We are the world’s largest online community for language learning, with more than 120+ million users from 190 countries, growing at up to 20,000 new users per day. We make learning a language easy by combining AI-powered courses with instant feedback from our global community of native speakers and live tutoring from qualified teachers across the world.
In January 2022, Busuu was acquired by one of the largest EdTech companies in the world, Chegg (NYSE:CHGG). Being part of Chegg will help us to accelerate our growth and achieve our vision even faster.
If you are interested in EdTech and want to be a part of a mission-driven organisation then we would like to hear from you.What does joining B2B team look like?
The B2B area of Busuu is growing rapidly! Our continuously growing clients are asking for our services, their expectations are increasing too: they are looking to have APIs integrated between Busuu and their platforms, customizable reports, and anything we can think of that can help them maximize the value Busuu is bringing to their employees. We are at the beginning of our journey to define and build the platform, so come and help us shape the landscape of the offer we have in Busuu for our B2B clients, the sky is the limit!What does a Senior Backend Engineer do at Busuu?
You’ll have the opportunity to be at the center of our biggest and most exciting phase yet, making important decisions that will help you grow and define your career as a Software Engineer. You’ll ship code often, support it all the way to production, and work with our web/mobile engineers and product teams to ensure a joined-up experience for our users.
You’ll be learning fast through different initiatives (guilds, reading clubs, learning together meetings, personal learning budget…), and keeping up with the latest industry standards.
As a Backend Engineer, you’ll be key to us releasing high-quality, bug-free software daily and you'll be key to ensuring we are running at maximum efficiency to deliver for the business and our users.
Our tech stack
What we’re looking for in a Senior Backend Engineer
- Our projects are built on a distributed platform composed of different API services.
- Some backend services are built with PHP 7 and Symfony, while others are built with NodeJS with TS.
- The new microservices are built following SOLID coding standards and design patterns.
- There is a possibility to use even more advanced techniques such as hexagonal architecture, CQRS, and Domain-Driven Design (with an event-driven architecture) if the developer wishes to do so.
At Busuu we want to ensure that you have access to some great benefits:
- Excellent knowledge of PHP/OOP and experience with a modern web framework (we use Symfony 3 to 5). Node.js experience is a plus.
- Good experience of data modeling and performance optimisation using relational databases (we use MySQL and PostgreSQL).
- Solid knowledge of REST API design.
- Experience with microservices architecture.
- Experience with SOLID principles and design patterns.
- Exposure to the architecture of high-traffic web platforms.
- Experience with testing methodologies, performance debugging, and benchmarking.
- Desire to learn and to write code using Node.js.
- Experience in defining the whole process of development, from initial design to deployment and support.
- Willing to participate in leading projects from a technical standpoint.
What Happens Next
- Our centrally located offices are well-equipped with free breakfast, plenty of snacks, fresh fruit, and free dinner of your choice if you need to stay late
- Busuu offers a great Private Health Insurance scheme
- There is a personal training budget just for you, so you can learn more in your field, attend virtual conferences and events that you find interesting
- We like to support our teams with their work-life balance so we offer flexible working hours and a hybrid model of working
- We offer enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- Training budget to ensure our employees can continuously grow and progress in their careers
- Staying connected as a team is very important to us, so we have lots of social activities for you to join such team lunches, Friday socials, quarterly team, and company events
- Serious pre-existing medical conditions are excluded from the coverage
We aim to have a simple and speedy hiring process and we want to make sure that we are right for you as much as the other way around. The hiring process for Backend Engineering is the following steps:
Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. We pride ourselves on embracing our differences, whether they're cultural, racial, religious or otherwise. This means each one of us comes to work knowing that we have a voice – and a safe, judgment-free zone to speak freely.
- CV application review - We will review it as quickly as possible
- Let’s chat - Quick chat with our recruiter about your experience and the role
- Technical questions - Technical call with the Backend team
- Technical test - We will send you a technical test to complete in your time
- Coding review - Technical interview and task review with the Backend team
- Culture fit interview - On-site or video call with the Engineering Manager
If you like the sound of that, join us. We'd love to hear what you have to say.