Preply is a global language learning marketplace, connecting 50,000+ tutors with millions of learners from all over the world. Since the company launched in 2012, students have signed up to more than 15 million lessons.
Backed by some of the world’s leading investors, Preply is on a mission to shape the future of effective learning. Fueled by a belief that live engagement with a teacher is still the most effective way to learn a new skill, Preply is building a personalized learning space that will enable individual learners to reach their goals in the fastest way possible.
Powered by a tenfold increase in revenues over the last three years, Preply is now leading the online language tutoring segment globally and has 400+ employees of over 50 nationalities based across Barcelona, Kyiv and the US. Preply is driven by a culture of experimentation and data-driven learnings, focused on building best-in-class consumer and enterprise solutions.
Join Preply engineering!
We are searching for a Backend Engineer (Python/Django) who is passionate about the vision of our product.
Our Backend Engineers are an integral part of our cross-functional Product teams. You will be part of the entire feature lifecycle from ideation and brainstorming through to deploying your unit-tested and instrumented code to production.
You'll join the Payments squad. They're responsible for experimenting and iterating on our order pipeline, which includes processing payments, making payouts to tutors, recurring payments, refunds, and detecting fraud. We work regularly with third-party providers trying to find the best solutions for our customers, and we also design new experiences to simplify using our site. It is a rewarding part of the business as even small improvements can bring positive impacts to customer experience and business metrics.
We release our product 50-60 times per day by leveraging technologies like Kubernetes, Docker and top-notch CI/CD processes. As a fast-growing company we have diverse technical challenges (sometimes we even write about them on our Engineering Blog) that will allow you to develop your skills at scale. https://medium.com/preply-engineering
Visit our Tech Radar to learn more about the technologies we use at Preply. https://tech-radar.preply.com/
As a Backend Engineer you will:
You will work in a cross-functional team and collaborate closely with frontend engineers to deliver backend services for various product initiatives and experiments. You will be customer-focused and make pragmatic technical decisions that balance speed of delivery with quality and maintainability.
- Collaborate with your team as you design and implement robust, readable, well-tested and solutions.
- Develop back-end and database driven unit-tested features using Python language and Django frameworks.
- Develop GraphQL endpoints to be consumed by frontend (our frontend stack is React/TypeScript).
- Learn the needs of our users and define solutions with your product manager and tech lead. Think beyond the code and about our customers.
- Help us make our best practices even better (test culture, code reviews, mentoring)
Who are you?
- Strong knowledge of Python and Django.
- Experience with writing unit tests.
- Experience developing web applications.
- A great collaborator with excellent communication skills.
- High level of self-organization, ownership, and responsibility.
- Minimum B2 English level.
- Bonus skills: Django, RabbitMQ, Celery, GraphQL, AWS, k8s.
What we offer:
- An opportunity at a high-growth trajectory company with solid investor backing.
- An open, collaborative, and international culture where your opinion is highly valued and appreciated.
- A monthly allowance for self-development on Preply.com.
- A competitive financial package, with generous leave allowance and health insurance.
- A free book delivered to you on your birthday
Some more about us...
Backed by some of the world’s leading investors, Preply is on a mission to shape the future of effective learning. Fueled by a belief that live engagement with a teacher is still the most effective way to learn a new skill, Preply is building a personalized learning space that will enable people to reach their goals in the fastest way possible.
We have diverse technical challenges (sometimes we write about them on our Engineering Blog) that will allow you to develop your skills across our stack. We also A/B test most of our changes in production, both from a product and a technical perspective before scaling it to all customers.
- Human: We speak honestly and directly with compassion and radical candor. We believe every interaction should be friendly, personalized, diverse and inclusive. Above all, we believe fun should be apart of everything we do.
- Hungry: Our will to win is unmatched. We make bold, data-informed decisions, to quickly deliver value to our customers. We dare to dream big, think like co-owners, and go the extra mile to hire others who share our champion spirit.
- Humble: We keep our egos low, constantly learn, and trust in data to make smart decisions. We know that our knowledge is imperfect and incomplete, but not stagnant. There's always more to learn from each other, our customers, and the world around us.
- Curious: We are lifelong learners. Our curiosity helps us to view tough situations more creatively. We kill the noise and go deep on insights. We face challenges head on, and consistently seek opportunities to learn more.
- Hackers: We’re obsessed with our customer’s problems. We focus on what matters, design with pragmatism, and move with incredible speed to create simple, creative, and scalable solutions.
- Learners-obsessed: We put our learners at the core of everything we do to improve the effectiveness of their language learning with us,
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
Preply.com is committed to creating an inclusive environment where people of diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe that the presence of different opinions and viewpoints is a key ingredient for our success as a multicultural Ed-Tech company. That means that Preply will consider all applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status.